Sunday, July 10, 2016

Day 2 in Israel!

We had an incredible second day in Israel with rappelling down Israel's biggest crater, riding camels, and learning more about the Bedouin culture. I was truly touched listening to a Bedouin woman named Miriam who shared her story with us. She had defied her culture's traditions and pursued a life for herself. She went to London and earned a degree in business. She returned to Israel after finishing her studies in London and decided not to marry at the time which was frowned upon by her family and community. Her father who had supported her in going to London for her eduction shunned Miriam once she decided not to marry. Miriam continued to pursue her dream of starting her own business and began creating soaps, lotions, and other beauty products. She has been continuously optimistic even through her business struggles. I was inspired by her positive attitude and ability to continue her business even with the hardships she faced. Miriam married two years ago to a man who is ten years younger than her. She continues to push the boundaries the Bedouin culture has, but always with a smile on her face. As a student attending Bryn Mawr, an all girls school, I really connected with Miriam. I have always been told I can accomplish anything if I put my mind to it. However, I had the preconceived notion that all women around the world did not believe in themselves and needed someone to tell them what they could achieve. But Miriam did it all on her own without someone telling her what was possible. She believed in herself despite no encouragement in pursuing her dreams. It made me even more thankful for the support I have received not only from my family but my community. Listening to her was a highlight for the entire group and we all were touched by her story. 

Laura 

No comments:

Post a Comment