Friday, July 1, 2011

9 more days!!

Can you believe that we are leaving in 9 more days… that is 9 more nights of sleeping in your own bed!!!!

 

I wanted to share some words of wisdom from Baltimore’s own Justin Hayet. This is his D’var Torah he delivered at the ASSOCIATED’s Annual Meeting on June 21, 2011.

 

In this week’s upcoming Torah portion, Korach, 250 members of the people of Israel follow a rebel, Korach, in challenge of Moshe’s choice for High Priest.

Korach and all of his followers end up burned by a Heavenly fire.

This portion begs us to ask: Why would 250 people follow Korach to their certain death with apparently little to gain?

Each of us in this room tonight all share a common passion, just like the 250 members who sacrificed their lives for a common cause. We all deeply treasure the Associated, the institution that will forever act as the beating heart of our sacred Jewish Community.

As a proud participant of the Diller Program, one of The Associated’s three teen leadership programs, I have become well acquainted with the Associated over the past year. The Diller program is focused on social service and Israel education. Through countless individualized community service projects, inspirational speakers, debates and retreats and my personal favorite Super Sunday, the Associated has made a strong impression on all 20 of us Diller fellows. It is The Associated, we know, that cares enough to train us to be Jewish Baltimore’s next generation of Jewish leaders.

I believe that passion is the single greatest gift an individual can possess, but it is important to channel that passion in a positive direction. Each of you tonight affirms your passion for the Associated, but unlike the misguided passion of Korach and his followers, your passion brings forth a much needed Heavenly light on our community.

Passion is contagious. I often recall my opening Diller retreat, as Megan Goldsmith, the Diller coordinator, proudly exclaimed, “I love my job. It is the greatest job on the planet.” I wanted to love my job, as a Diller participant, as much as she loves hers. The Diller Program is a major success because of Megan’s dedication, hard work and radiant passion.


Today, as a public school student, I can say I feel very much a part of Jewish Baltimore. In fact, I am interning at The Associated this summer with the well humored Community Planning and Allocations Department! As members of the Associated family, whether volunteers or employees, it is our duty to spread the contagious Associated spirit that lies within, in hopes of inspiring others to take part in our quest of tikkun olam, repairing the world - locally, nationally, in Israel, in Odessa and around the world.

In a few weeks, I will get to travel to Israel with the Diller program. I am most excited about visiting our sister city, Ashkelon. Until then, I would like to introduce - via video - greetings from the Mayor of Ashkelon, Benny Vaknin.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment